Heading home after another EdCan Network Regional Exchange.
I need to write down some of my ideas for signals that I see in our world. Later I’ll try to apply them to education, to see what might have value in our space. Feel free to comment and help me out, okay?
- custom, handmade, “bespoke” items (personalized, unique, intentionally different, curated)
- audience and approval (snapchat and instagram, followers, subs, likes, favourites, pruning)
- return the analog, the analog renaissance (tabletop games, physical books, visual arts, no-phone-zone)
- mental health awareness (prioritizing individual well-being over homogeneous requirements, arbitrary time, rigidity)
- results are greater than conformity and compliance (working from home, staggered or varying hours, managers for productivity instead of compliance)
- science fiction renaissance (thanks Matt Damon)
- quiet (yoga, adult colouring, gardening and farming, hiking)
- inefficient activities (games, cooking, pleasure reading, knitting)
- blurring of retailer and consumer (creator/producer/manufacturer, 3D printing, Uber, freelance)
- microtransactions (Patreon instead of subscriptions)
- curated goods (crates)
- small and local (yarn, food, beer, retail)
- digital goods (ebooks, virtual currency, access rights)
- trade facilitation (connecting consumers, eBay, TCG Player, Deckbox.org)
- premium/pro version/freemium
Okay, that’s it for now until I have time to think some more. Thanks.